Friday, July 25, 2008

"Chomp!!!!!''






I'm not sure if I told you this before, but I kept two kinds of diaries during my wanderings --- a regular diary and a "Comic Book'' diary. This entry, from the "Comic Book'' version, gives you some sense of what was going through my head during the title sequence from "Cactus Eaters.'' Note the facial expression. Also, here are some scratchboard sketches inspired by various critters I saw in the American West. Alas, the grizzly sketch is a memento mori. They've been extinct in my native state since the 1920s. Nice going, California.








2 comments:

clif said...

hi Dan. I read and enjoyed your book. I also appreciate your sketches (being an amateur nature journalist myself).

cactuseaters said...

Hi, KCS -- thank you.
UC Santa Cruz (in Santa Cruz, Ca.) has a very well-regarded 'Wildlife Illustration' concentration. I could never, in a million years, get into the actual program, but Professor Caudle at UCSC offered an open-enrollment summer-school version, which I took a few years back. It was extremely helpful and very enjoyable (and I learned a lot about wildlife.)