Friday, January 04, 2008

Cheese shop ownership and psychosis: a direct correlation

Incident one: Just last week, I went into my very favorite cheese shop in town and asked the guy for a small wedge of Fromage D'Affinoir. And the guy's face fell! He wrinkled his nose and made a disgusted expression as if I'd just asked for the dumbest, most vulgar kind of cheese on the planet. He gave me the Fromage, but he practically threw the thing at me. I got out of there as quickly as I could.

Incident two: The other day, I went into my second-favorite cheese shop in town and asked for some fresh ricotta, which, as you know, is very hard to find. The owner asked me why I needed fresh ricotta. I explained that my wife was making me a lasagna from scratch, using a Kitchenaid standing mixer with a pasta-making attachment. "What is she, a mail-order bride?'' said the owner.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Dan! For your ricotta you should go to Lucca on Valencia at 22nd. They wouldn't slander Amy, though they might try to foist some pig leg on you.

cactuseaters said...

Yucko on the pigleg!! However I am intrigued by the Ricotta. I will investigate this today (when I return, for the thousandth time, to La Taqueria.)

Anonymous said...

Kara, thanks for this --- and they have astounding ravioli too as you probably know

Anonymous said...

Also apertifs are good there.