Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Horrible meal at new improved Italian restaurant

What's the Italian phrase for "flat tire with tomato sauce dumped on the top of it along with some shriveled mushrooms" ? The answer is: "pneumatico sgonfio a la fungilli shrivilloso con salsa pomodoro disgustioso.'' This is what I consumed during my highly unpleasant recent visit to the 'new improved' Italian restaurant that I frequent in San Francisco. Until last week, the restaurant was brilliant. They had a nice way with pastas, sauces, wines and the like. The service was kind of pushy at times, but hey. In the past week, the place plunged off a cliff in terms of quality. They became overly ambitious and highfalutin. They started putting wild game and other assorted creatures on the menu, while experimenting with peculiar new sauces. My wife ordered something that looked, pretty much, like a soggy, insipid bird's nest with cheese on it. Translation: "Nido di uccello inzuppato y banale con fromaggio.''

2 comments:

Kara said...

Dan,

Da quando parli l'italiano? For a city built on rock 'n' roll and cannoli, you're right, it ain't a good scene. I have some recommendations for you if you're interested in some cibo meno inzuppato, for whatever that is worth.

K-rock

cactuseaters said...

K-rock, thank you so much for this. I can't tell you how disappointing this was. I had to eat two off-brand Tum-like knock-off antacids to remove some of the sting of my post-gnocchi stomach ache. In fact, I woke up the next morning with my stomach in knots. If you have a good choice for a replacement Italian place, I would like to hear it.