Friday, December 05, 2008

A big time in Sebastopol

I had a very big time up in Sebastopol, California today. I spoke before a crowd of Rotarians, including a fellow whose son through-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail southbound and ate canola oil mixed with granola to keep his weight up. That may be the most impressively hard-core trail food story I've ever heard. (Apparently, canola oil has the most calories per volume of anything you can eat on the trail. Who knew? I guess the trick is choking it down. Peanut butter still works best for me.) At the end of my presentation, the Rotarians gave me an air-tight stainless steel sports bottle with a set of caribiners to make sure that I don't screw up and run out of water in the desert again. Thank you; I will use it in good health. Aside from meeting the Rotarians, I had a chance to explore this beautiful Sonoma County town, browse the aisles of Copperfield's book store, and eat an enormous amount of sweets at the Village Bakery. I couldn't decide between the pecan sticky bun and the lemon cake so I ate both, which was a bad move. Now I'm ready to keel over from eating all that sugar. But what a way to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

We really enjoyed your reading, and comments about your experiences. Thanks again so much for joining us as our guest today at the Rotary Club of Sebastopol.
Next time you can make it up here you may want to stop by Wild Flour Bakery in th little village of Freestone, near where I live. They have great sticky buns. The name pretty much sums it up.
Happy Trails
Mike Ferguson

cactuseaters said...

Thanks, Mike. I had such a great time up there, meeting all the Rotarians and hearing about their adventures. I am eager to visit Sebastopol again -- and next time I will overdose even more on the baked goods.